RuneScape Community Forums (since 2001)
2007RsHelp.com - Printable Version

+- RuneScape Community Forums (since 2001) (https://runescapecommunity.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://runescapecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Community Discussion (https://runescapecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: 2007RsHelp.com (/showthread.php?tid=13)

2007RsHelp.com - W13 - 09-05-2018

We put this old copy of Zybez from 2007 up to help players of OSRS. And it isn't being maintained by anyone.

Anyways, I recently moved all the websites that I host (like 25 of them) to a new server. It costs half the price per month and has better specs (... yeah, that's the world of web-hosting for you). Without thinking much, I installed the latest versions of PHP and mySQL.

2007RsHelp.com in its current form was coded eons ago using mostly PHP 4 code. At the time, the code was pretty sleek. Over time, it has gotten cluttered with messy bandaids and snippets of code. So when I turned on the site on the new server, it just fell apart on PHP 7 as lots of code is deprecated. So I had to spend several hours over a couple days to manually go in and modernize all that code to get the site working. There were many "omg wtf Ben..." moments :-D and many, "omg W13... you were such a lazy noob back then..." looking at my own code clutter.

Anyways, I'm happy to say that the site is functional and even the Editor (the control panel that helps staff update the site content) is functional.

I won't be maintaining the site's content but will continue to keep it online as long as there's demand (and there's decent traffic numbers still hitting the site). So, if anyone is interested in working on the site's content or coding or whatever, get in touch with me. With OSRS potentially getting big on mobile, it may be worth looking into.

RE: 2007RsHelp.com - True 2k8 - 09-08-2018

Good luck, hopefully it stays updated to direct traffic here X)

RE: 2007RsHelp.com - Hell Nova - 09-09-2018

Have to get more people to come to these forums to help keep it going. I don't want to see it all go away lol Sad

RE: 2007RsHelp.com - Wee Man - 09-11-2018

I've still got editor access on there from like 4 years ago when I offered to help out. I kind of feel like it should be maintained otherwise it's pretty much a waste of space and it kind of reflects poorly on people but really a lot of the content would need rebuilding from scratch since a lots changed.

RE: 2007RsHelp.com - W13 - 09-12-2018

(09-11-2018, 10:37 AM)Wee Man Wrote: I've still got editor access on there from like 4 years ago when I offered to help out. I kind of feel like it should be maintained otherwise it's pretty much a waste of space and it kind of reflects poorly on people but really a lot of the content would need rebuilding from scratch since a lots changed.

Actually, it isn't a task as monumental as it may sound. With a group of about 10 people doing a few hours a week, it can be done within a month.

Also I think the "correction" submission thing can be expanded a bit. So it has a chance at competing with Wiki.

I've always wanted to incorporate google search results at the bottom of each piece of content (where it only shows results from these forums) - using the title (of the quest or item or whatever) as the search term.

RE: 2007RsHelp.com - Wee Man - 09-12-2018

(09-12-2018, 03:22 AM)W13 Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 10:37 AM)Wee Man Wrote: I've still got editor access on there from like 4 years ago when I offered to help out. I kind of feel like it should be maintained otherwise it's pretty much a waste of space and it kind of reflects poorly on people but really a lot of the content would need rebuilding from scratch since a lots changed.

Actually, it isn't a task as monumental as it may sound. With a group of about 10 people doing a few hours a week, it can be done within a month.

Also I think the "correction" submission thing can be expanded a bit. So it has a chance at competing with Wiki.

I've always wanted to incorporate google search results at the bottom of each piece of content (where it only shows results from these forums) - using the title (of the quest or item or whatever) as the search term.

Ye, with enough people involved it's definitely doable.

RE: 2007RsHelp.com - W13 - 09-14-2018

[Image: L1SueHB.png]

RE: 2007RsHelp.com - Wee Man - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 07:18 AM)W13 Wrote: [Image: L1SueHB.png]

That's a lot more than I was expecting.

RE: 2007RsHelp.com - W13 - 09-15-2018

Yeah, and it may go up if mobile ends up hurling Rs back to the top of the gaming charts.

RE: 2007RsHelp.com - W13 - 09-17-2018

There's still a huge demand for RuneScape stuff...
[Image: O6trlUJ.png?1]

So, if anybody is interested in developing or working on https://2007rshelp.com , hit me up. There's still loads of potential.