The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

RuneScape Community Forums (since 2001)
Favourite update or piece of content? - Printable Version

+- RuneScape Community Forums (since 2001) (https://runescapecommunity.com)
+-- Forum: RuneScape (https://runescapecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://runescapecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Favourite update or piece of content? (/showthread.php?tid=174)

Pages: 1 2 3

Favourite update or piece of content? - Murdoc - 09-27-2018

I'm curious was to what people would say are theirs. 

No update really stood out for me in the sense of blowing my mind or suddenly giving me purpose in the game. I've always been a very laid back, go with the flow, kind of guy. But Castle Wars will always be that part of RS I'll look back on most fondly. All those years ago when you'd easily get a hundred+ people per game.

The pre-game hype. 
Seeing people getting turned into animals for wearing opposing god items. 
Rushing into battle without a care in the world for strategy (who cares about getting Tickets, they meant nothing go me). 
Zero'ing in one specific players (around your level/skill lol) on the enemy team around your level to constantly 1v1 throughout the game. Until you reached the 110s+ and/or got good enough gear to take on just about anyone haha.
Trying to add teammates you got on with and make sure you were on the same one again for the next round. 

Etc. 

There have been precious few times I've been happier or had nearly as much fun than no-lifing Castle Wars... Rest in peace, sweet minigame... 

In fairness I did like Pest Control upon release because it harked back to CW in ways, not just because of the gold and XP Lol, but it wasn't the same.

RE: Favourite update or piece of content? - Yoto32 - 09-27-2018

Assuming "RS2" being a copout, my favorite piece of content is and will probably always be the Barrows. Revolutionized pvming by introducing 1)degradable armour, which allowed for powercreep without completely breaking the game, 2) strategy for pvming, needing to figure out a strategy for a boss 3) introduced the concept of bossing for money. Up until then, there weren't any bosses that were a particularly effective way of making money, as dragon drops were rare to the point of being a bonus and not something to actively strive for.

I'll always remember when I got my first barrows item. A Guthan's Platebody, that was worth about 10 mil since the healing effect of full Guthans was useful for combat training back then. I used to go around saying I wouldn't "sell my body". I thought I was clever.

RE: Favourite update or piece of content? - W13 - 09-27-2018

I have to agree that CW and PC was fun. I remember thinking, "omg, are they serious? this is so corny. people will get bored next week." ... but then it ended up being awesome. It was bot-fest, which is probably what killed it.

For me, the most exciting was always exploring new areas rather than mini-games or game mechanics or whatever. So, whenever there was a new continent or new area to explore, I was happy.

RE: Favourite update or piece of content? - Potrahs - 09-27-2018

Yeah I remember u could get that armour in Castle Wars for few tickets which was better full rune at the time. Ofc they nerfed it.
When they invented BH worlds in 2k8 or 2k9.
REV caves. Made me ruin my sleeping schedule for 2 months bcs I was pking with VR late EST everyday lol.

RE: Favourite update or piece of content? - Wee Man - 09-27-2018

Bounty hunter world's and the ep system. It introduced me to cc teams and pvp plus I made bank off it by hunting afk epers at like 7am gmt Lmao.

RE: Favourite update or piece of content? - Fire Hawk154 - 09-27-2018

Clan Wars as it introduced me to multi-PvP, was so much fun with just random people, advertising cc's and watching people join because you had a high combat level.

RE: Favourite update or piece of content? - Jacko - 09-27-2018

The Inferno by a country mile. I did it immediately on release so I had to figure all the mechanics out myself for the most part. Quite the task looking back at it. I've never felt a sense of accomplishment like that from a game.

A big incentive was their promise of banning players who bought/sold the cape. Combined with the high skill level required, the infernal cape established a prestige that differed from the grind of a skillcape or the aged fire cape.

I really enjoyed the duel tournaments minigame too, it was a great addition to the duel arena. Required a bit more forward thinking and skill than staking. Enjoyed a front page rank on the highscores for a long time. Rank 31 at the minute.

RE: Favourite update or piece of content? - The duck - 09-27-2018

(09-27-2018, 06:01 AM)W13 Wrote: I have to agree that CW and PC was fun. I remember thinking, "omg, are they serious? this is so corny. people will get bored next week." ... but then it ended up being awesome. It was bot-fest, which is probably what killed it.

For me, the most exciting was always exploring new areas rather than mini-games or game mechanics or whatever. So, whenever there was a new continent or new area to explore, I was happy.
Pest control is still active in OSRS, though people don't talk much..

For me, Stealing Creation and Fist of Guthix were great

RE: Favourite update or piece of content? - Matt Slater - 09-27-2018

Castle Wars was pretty A-1.

Nothing like being an noob with explosive vials and barricades, killing high levels with falling rocks. : ' )

RE: Favourite update or piece of content? - Trevor - 09-27-2018

The switch from Classic -> RS2 in general. Opened the door to so many things that you couldn't do on Classic, just the tiniest things made me happy as hell!