RuneScape Community Forums (since 2001)
Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - Printable Version

+- RuneScape Community Forums (since 2001) (https://runescapecommunity.com)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://runescapecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://runescapecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? (/showthread.php?tid=350)

Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - W13 - 12-03-2018

If so, what sort of boundaries will you set?

If not, why not? What about other MMO games?

RE: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - Suzuna - 12-03-2018

I don't have kids (and I'm not sure I really want to, anytime soon at least), but yeah I would probably let them play runescape. I played runescape and other online games when I was a kid (maybe starting in elementary school or middle school), and I wouldn't say it negatively affected me in any way. Games were a lot more fun when I was a kid (like a lot of things, I guess) and honestly it exposed me to a lot of things that I wouldn't have learned about otherwise at that age. As long as my future children don't completely blow off their education, I would probably let them do anything they're interested in as long as it's not seriously impacting their physical or mental health.

RE: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - Torreoria - 12-03-2018

My son introduced me to RS.   Smile

RE: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - The duck - 12-05-2018

RS is one of the least things I'd worry about..

RE: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - Wee Man - 12-08-2018

After they're old enough to understand the dangers of online communities/friends sure why not? Obviously I wouldn't let them sit there 15 hours a day pissing into bottles for max efficiency but the game or other MMOs as a whole I don't have an issue with.

RE: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - Teddy - 12-08-2018

I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but having thought about it, my answer is no.

RuneScape and this awesome community gave me great experiences. I feel like I learned a lot and ultimately ended up quite successful in real life so far. I'm obviously still sticking around on these forums over a decade later, so it definitely has a special place in my heart Wink

Having said that, I also grew up in an area where nothing was really happening. And while my parents believed in my intelligence and abilities, I never really was encouraged to seek out total excellence in anything... just get good grades and participate in a lot of clubs. I suppose I was an excellent student, but that's not a lasting profession. I wish I had been allowed to skip a couple of grades when the school encouraged my parents to let me do so, and taught more advanced mathematics or programming at an early age (fun story, my parents told me to stop self-studying programming in middle school because I should just focus on being a doctor... phenomenally awful advice that I decided to stop following later in life).

Like Suzuna said, I'm actually fairly doubtful I'll ever have kids. One of the reasons is that I'm a fairly selfish person who doesn't care to make the personal sacrifices necessary. However, if I did have children, I imagine their lifestyle would be substantially different. I live in one of the major cities of the world, working in a fairly intense profession, and I figure this would be reflected in my parenting. I suspect I would be the kind of father who would push them towards being the best in a sport, or in a particular academic discipline, or an art, or something. And hey, if it were back in the early 2000's, maybe I would've even encouraged them to be the best in RuneScape, as an alternate universe Zezima.

But I feel like while the game is satisfying and fun for those who have already spent a lot of time in it, it just doesn't feel like there's the same ability to blaze new trails. I believe achievement should be felt on a personal level, but I doubt there's the same satisfaction in taking the path well-traveled.

I guess I'm also biased because video games have taken a back seat to the rest of my life over the past several years. I wouldn't say I've "gotten a life" per se (I always hated when people said that back when I played RuneScape). I'm actually just a bit of a workaholic lol. But I love what I do. I feel like the reason I played so much RuneScape when I was younger was that I hadn't found what I loved.

I just want to make sure that my hypothetical kids would find their passion at that early age. If it's somehow RuneScape, then I guess so be it. Statistically it's quite improbable, though, and so since it's such a time sink for the typical enthusiast, I would really advocate against it.

-Teddy

RE: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - blackspy - 12-17-2018

Honestly, with the way kids are today, I'd keep them off the internet as much as possible. Back in the golden days of runescape/RSC, the worst thing we had to worry about was 4chan. Now it's like 4chan has spread like a disease and everyone is a moron. Stupid youtube comments, stupid instagram comments, that stupid flossing thing, fortnite...

I'm a ski instructor, and there was a time when lunch hour was a shitshow, kids throwing food at each other, screaming, yelling... basically kids being kids. Now? It's whisper quiet. Silence. Utter silence because everyone is just gaming on their phones. It sucks.

RE: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - The duck - 12-18-2018

(12-17-2018, 05:10 AM)blackspy Wrote: Honestly, with the way kids are today, I'd keep them off the internet as much as possible. Back in the golden days of runescape/RSC, the worst thing we had to worry about was 4chan. Now it's like 4chan has spread like a disease and everyone is a moron. Stupid youtube comments, stupid instagram comments, that stupid flossing thing, fortnite...

I'm a ski instructor, and there was a time when lunch hour was a shitshow, kids throwing food at each other, screaming, yelling... basically kids being kids. Now? It's whisper quiet. Silence. Utter silence because everyone is just gaming on their phones. It sucks.

Ask them if they like fortnite..

RE: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - Gintoki - 12-20-2018

I watched this really cool interview recently, the guy was a psychologist and put forward his theories and research suggesting that social media is reponsible for the rising suicide/mental ilness and depression rates, developers of social media know this and they develop it the way that they do on purpose to make it as addicting as possible, to make it necessary for all young people who do not even live in our world, but in the world of social media.

You see this a fair bit I think, people don't really get too involved with their family face to face, other than immediate family and holiday events really. I'm not sure if I believe everything that he says, because his perspective is very much from a place of social media is evil, which is still true to a point. But I do think that I would at the very least limit gaming usage and social media and all this stuff to a certain extent. I do not want to exclude them from things that their peers are a part of, for the danger of social isolation, but limit their time on it to such an extent that they cannot become addicted and "rely" on these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmXcjvL9VSc

RE: Would you want your kids playing RuneScape? - Ravose - 12-24-2018

(12-08-2018, 02:11 AM)Teddy Wrote: I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but having thought about it, my answer is no.

Like Suzuna said, I'm actually fairly doubtful I'll ever have kids. One of the reasons is that I'm a fairly selfish person who doesn't care to make the personal sacrifices necessary. 
(12-20-2018, 12:00 PM)Gintoki Wrote: I watched this really cool interview recently, the guy was a psychologist and put forward his theories and research suggesting that social media is reponsible for the rising suicide/mental ilness and depression rates, developers of social media know this and they develop it the way that they do on purpose to make it as addicting as possible, to make it necessary for all young people who do not even live in our world, but in the world of social media.

You see this a fair bit I think, people don't really get too involved with their family face to face, other than immediate family and holiday events really. I'm not sure if I believe everything that he says, because his perspective is very much from a place of social media is evil, which is still true to a point. But I do think that I would at the very least limit gaming usage and social media and all this stuff to a certain extent. I do not want to exclude them from things that their peers are a part of, for the danger of social isolation, but limit their time on it to such an extent that they cannot become addicted and "rely" on these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmXcjvL9VSc

@ Teddy, I cut out a part which is also true of myself and you but the bit I did keep in, I agree with. I would realistically be a bit more disciplined on my theoretical kids if I had any, as I, both, grew up and as I have observed and watched how the online communities (as well as Gintoki's quote) have developed over the years. I would probably be the type to set up my kids own accounts and put parental restrictions on them via the internet to try and limit what they could see by the time they are born, up until they start asking why this/that/the other thing is blocked/restricted. By that time, in response to Gintoki/Teddy now, my theoretical kids would be of age to have a phone and the opportunity to see a bit more themselves, but with a heavy understanding from me to them on why I had done such things. Similar to how kids growing up are usually influenced by friends, I feel that the internet would adversely affect kids (mine or anyone else's) just the same. And, for me, that is the type of stress that I would not want to deal with. Thus I probably would not want to have kids right now in this current generation of society. Something in our days has to happen to snap people out of this addiction to social media and being toxic to others. I mean, heavily toxic. Will it happen? IMO, I hope.

Oh and Gintoki, there are also former members and developers as you said that have revealed and came forth saying the same such as that in the video. Have not watched, but in that sense - it's 100% true.