The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

RuneScape Community Forums (since 2001)
Reputation system - Printable Version

+- RuneScape Community Forums (since 2001) (https://runescapecommunity.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://runescapecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Community Discussion (https://runescapecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Reputation system (/showthread.php?tid=74)

Pages: 1 2

Reputation system - W13 - 09-17-2018

So there's a reputation system on these forums and I'm not 100% sure how it works. Basically users can give these things to each other and I found the limits in the AdminCP. They were set to unlimited by default.  Woeh

So I've put in some limits...  users can give reputation once daily per user maximum, and give a total to 5 other users.  (it's weird using the term "users" - sounds like I'm talking about drug addicts... ... I'd use "members" but then it sounds like RuneScape subscribers). 

Let's hear your guys' feedback on this. Is it even worth being enabled?

RE: Reputation system - Wee Man - 09-17-2018

(09-17-2018, 07:02 AM)W13 Wrote: So there's a reputation system on these forums and I'm not 100% sure how it works. Basically users can give these things to each other and I found the limits in the AdminCP. They were set to unlimited by default.  Woeh

So I've put in some limits...  users can give reputation once daily per user maximum, and give a total to 5 other users.  (it's weird using the term "users" - sounds like I'm talking about drug addicts... ... I'd use "members" but then it sounds like RuneScape subscribers). 

Let's hear your guys' feedback on this. Is it even worth being enabled?

I used to think that having +1s and -1s for posts is just a lazy way of replying to someone's post without generating any discussion but after we removed the -1 on Zybez people seemed to really latch onto the idea of post ratings. I'd say keep it, is it possible to have different limits for different user groups so that it's a perk of promotions? So like 5 for Jr, 10 for Mem, 20 for Smem then unlimited for Mod+.

RE: Reputation system - Gintoki - 09-17-2018

The notion of being able to leave a comment as to why you rated something is interesting, though it seems to be anonymous (I assume mods can see who rated what though?) I could see this being used as harassment potentially like yeah nice comment retard.

Interesting nonetheless though!

(09-17-2018, 08:43 AM)Gintoki Wrote: The notion of being able to leave a comment as to why you rated something is interesting, though it seems to be anonymous (I assume mods can see who rated what though?) I could see this being used as harassment potentially like yeah nice comment retard.

They can be reported and removed by staff if abuse occurs which wasn't possible without ACP on the IPB forums.

RE: Reputation system - Manga - 09-17-2018

The idea of reputations is fine with we, being able to give that feedback that people like your posts is important in a board.

RE: Reputation system - Jack - 09-17-2018

Don't remove the neg button!

RE: Reputation system - Saddam - 09-17-2018

don't see the need unless we end up with a marketplace forum and trust becomes important but people always seem to want ratings for no reason in particular so its whatever

RE: Reputation system - Dox17 - 09-17-2018

(09-17-2018, 08:43 AM)Gintoki Wrote: The notion of being able to leave a comment as to why you rated something is interesting, though it seems to be anonymous (I assume mods can see who rated what though?) I could see this being used as harassment potentially like yeah nice comment retard.

yeah nice comment retard

RE: Reputation system - Yoto32 - 09-17-2018

(09-17-2018, 08:16 AM)Wee Man Wrote: I used to think that having +1s and -1s for posts is just a lazy way of replying to someone's post without generating any discussion but after we removed the -1 on Zybez people seemed to really latch onto the idea of post ratings. I'd say keep it, is it possible to have different limits for different user groups so that it's a perk of promotions? So like 5 for Jr, 10 for Mem, 20 for Smem then unlimited for Mod+.

So which system worked better, with negatives or without? We removed -1s on the old board because they were being abused with no accountability, but since mods can check to see who posted what rep and can easily delete them, we can revert abuse. I think rep is a pretty important to get people to post: I mean all of reddit is driven by the insatiable need for those sweet, sweet upvotes.

(09-17-2018, 05:14 PM)Yoto32 Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 08:16 AM)Wee Man Wrote: I used to think that having +1s and -1s for posts is just a lazy way of replying to someone's post without generating any discussion but after we removed the -1 on Zybez people seemed to really latch onto the idea of post ratings. I'd say keep it, is it possible to have different limits for different user groups so that it's a perk of promotions? So like 5 for Jr, 10 for Mem, 20 for Smem then unlimited for Mod+.

So which system worked better, with negatives or without? We removed -1s on the old board because they were being abused with no accountability, but since mods can check to see who posted what rep and can easily delete them, we can revert abuse. I think rep is a pretty important to get people to post: I mean all of reddit is driven by the insatiable need for those sweet, sweet upvotes.

Agreed, since they can be reported and reviewed by staff any harassment can be resolved easily. That's before we even get into the fact there's not 100k account credentials floating around out there to compromise and abuse the.system with. I say keep positive and negative.